Friday, March 12, 2010

Final Project




My chapel system is in its most basic elements a rectangle that has been pushed, pulled, twisted, and pieced together. Each room is a unique space, defined by different angles and forms, which are all related to the central corridor and axis. I wanted to create a sacred space in which the individual could have a meditative experience defined by the personal choices off of the corridor. The corridor is compressed and short, with a glass ceiling that allows the individual to see the second, higher, more encompassing ceiling, creating the sense of a room within a room.

The main chapel is inward facing, meant to create a communal worship space. It is defined predominantly by the parallel walls of the back wall and the lobby, in contrast to the rectilinear outside wall. Light is brought in through the falling glass system on the westward facing wall, mean to bring in light from above and allow peak view below, rather than create a chapel based around a large view. The light creates interesting patterns as on the floor and wall, as seen below.

The side chapel, in contrast, is outward facing. It is low slung, and meant to contain two rows of benches/pews facing outward, creating a place for individual meditation.

While the corridor and light system are important in determining hierarchy, circulation, and function the most important, and defining feature of my chapel system is the wave. I wanted to use the wave in recognition and imitation of the ocean at the site. I used depths at Ocean Beach, and information on ocean wave patterns, creating a wave in which each crest was more massive and loose (with a larger diameter). The wave was meant to define the experience inside. The wave of the main chapel draws the attention inward, whereas the wave of the side chapel starts as the roof, becomes the wall, and then the floor, with falling slits of glass to allow ocean views (my zen view), drawing the visitor's attention outward. In the chapel the wave "falls" into a wall (that compresses in the individual into the entrance of the chapel). Where this fall occurs there is a strip of glass to let in natural light, creating a installation-like art experience (my beloved detail). The wall, like the side chapel, has falling strips, through which to view the wave/wall interaction. The visitor would first view this through the strips in the wall in the procession to the main chapel, and as the visitor turns the corner he would then be able to look down the light tunnel that is the intersection of the wave and wall.

I created the wave by laser cutting the wave's shape out of wood, which were thick enough to be structural. I then created beams to go between these shape holders to create more structure and security. I then draped velum over the system. I am pleased with my model of the wave form.

If I had more time to work on this project I would like to return with an editing eye, focusing on one aspect or idea of this chapel and pursuing it throughout, although I am happy I pursued/tried all of them. They may have been too much in conjunction but I am happy with how each idea, or modeling aspect, stands on its own, and brings richness to the final project.















No comments:

Post a Comment