Monday, March 1, 2010

The Process by Taylor Skaufel



The process started off by building site model and starting with a massing model. One of the main things I focused on when placing my buildings on the site was that i wanted my side chapel, classroom, and office all to have spectacular views of the ocean. For my chapel, I wanted the main views to be views of the beauty of the inside of the chapel. In addition, I wanted the front of the chapel to be clearly visible from the street.

The design of my chapel is influenced mostly by holl and fehn. Holl uses light scoops to bring in light into the chapel, something i want to do. Fehn has many features that i like too. In one of the powerpoint presentations there is a concrete hallway by Fehn that really inspired me. On top of these influences, I also studied older chapels to see what it was that made them so sacred. I used these features (such as high ceilings and rectangle layout) to construct my chapel.

The chapel started off with a basic squared column structure with a big light scoop in the front. This was a great basic structure but has gone through many changes, especially since the getting feedback from the last pair of architects.









The men who came last Thursday gave me some great feedback. They gave a couple architecture projects to look at for inspiration (Loui Kahn Chapels) and pointed out some changes i could make to my project.

This weekend i went back to the trace to come up with some new ideas for the project. In doing so, I came up with great new ideas for the chapel. In the process i changed my columns from more squared structures to skinnier more triangular shapes. In addition, these columns became more part of the walls and the side hallways now walk through the columns. Also i added a big window toward the front of the chapel on the ceiling.

A couple things that i am having trouble with are the following. The shape of the side classroom: What should it look like? I need it to be simple and not distract from the chapel, yet it needs to go with chapel. I have played with multiple shapes. Nothings seems quite right yet. Some of the shapes can be seen in the picture (building furthest left and building furthest toward the front of picture). The next trouble is the roof of the area between the classroom and main chapel. Somehow it needs to flow between the two and it is not doing that yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment