Friday, March 12, 2010

First I started with a hexagon design. I wanted to start simple and then add complexity to the design. I was inspired by how Mario Botta took geometric forms and changed them to created intricate designs. So I took the hexagon and tore it a apart and resembled the two pieces on different levels.


I decided to place the chapel with the contour of the land so as to create a connection with the site. The two levels of the structure also form a slope so as to resemble the topography of the land.Originally I started with the idea of using columns to support my design, but with the advice of one of our guests I changed my mind. As you can see below, I used stairs to support the building. These stairs also became my beloved detail as I used them throughout the design.
If you look closely, you can also see that I used the stairs to create my Zen View. While standing on the platform you can see through the window above the doors and out to the ocean. This creates a very controlled view.I was also was boggled with how to solve the issue of the corners of my building. With some advice during class time, I decided to make these corners reach to the window of second floor. This gave the look of the second level being inserted within the building, which connected the two forms.

No comments:

Post a Comment