Friday, March 12, 2010


When I started thinking of the chapel project, I envisioned the main chapel being a geometric mass that would have pentagonal panels pointing upward to the sky and therefore directing the view and at the same time framing it. However, it seemed a little disconnected from the other masses and it started to get too complex in terms of circulation and square footage. Also, as I found solutions to functional problems, the lines and landscaping became more complex and it lost the purity I initially liked so much about the geometry.So after looking at some architects for inspiration, I decided that I would focus on two main ones: Tadao Ando and Steven Holl. I liked Ando because of his simplicity and the way he treats views; and Holl because of the way he deals with materials using them to let light into the building.


The main feature of my chapel is the framed view that is seen from the risers. The "floating altar" divides the view into ocean and sky, hiding the horizon and at the same time providing a stage for the preacher. It has a back 8-inch wall so that the viewers do not see the speaker against the light, what would cause him/her to look very dark and the view feel uncomfortable. I envision the inside of the chapel to feel very large and massive, with the escape being the views of nature as well as the door/windows, which bring some light into the space. Also, I intended it to feel very restful, a place where one can contemplate the views and enjoy the experience of sitting as a spectator of both the speaker and nature.

The people would come from the area closer to the road into the site and would see the lobby from a distance because of its distinctive material. Even though the chapel is more massive and larger in size, the lobby would be lit in the day with sunlight and at night with interior light. In terms of the plan, to emphasize the importance of the chapel amongst the other buildings, I used a parallelogram that also allowed me to play with the symmetry/asymmetry of the location of the speaker vs. the main entrance, and also the seating.

In the lobby area, I played a with some transformations to make the space more interesting and functional. I liked the suggestion of the critics to make the lobby a central area to to the office, classroom and chapel. I would definitely consider this theme for if I were to continue working on this project.

No comments:

Post a Comment