Friday, March 12, 2010

Paul's Final Project

Design Process

My design thinking was really influenced by the book, Third Millenium Churches, which advocated simplicity of forms and effects, contrasted to the classical churches. Whereas last project I used a complicated system, this time It was more simplistic and probably more ideal to the author of the book I read. I avoided extreme, complicated systems to avoid an impressive architecture, because I want to have a design where at first it wouldn't really say much, but the beauty is expressed through the experience of chapel. Rather, as the author suggested, I use the experience to display the sacredness of the buildings. (See first process post to see more of how my design concept came about, and quotes). Treated them as secular/multipurpose buildings, displaying no overt Christian symbols or group-exclusive insignias.

First I started with the circulation. To start off an inviting entry, with the focus on the pool/fountain , using a framing view as inspired by Scarpa (a framed view at an entrance in Brion) but using rectangular geometries instead for the openings. This beloved detail of mine preparies them for a dark corridor, guided by soft natural light, with the intent of going towards the ocean (with another framed zen vista view), which at the end will give an enlightened peaceful de-stressing feeling.



Inspiration

My inspirations from Scarpa and Holl can be seen as an integration of Scarpa’s framing views (i.e Brion monument complex) and Holl’s rectangular affinity, and his beautiful ways of letting light in indirectly (i.e in St Ignatius church) as seen in my lightwells. I also used the site slope to carve out pathways which stairs down to the flat area of the site (about 1.5-2.5 feet down) and make a small side-circulation path which leads to (first) the class room’s side door) then to the main corridor (which is a smooth sloped ramp for disabled and for most people).



Scarpa- Brion monumental complex




Holl- St Ignatius Church


Theme

The landscaping pretty much evolved into a theme of a light tower by the ocean, which helps sailors to find their way, symbolizing a guiding light to safety and tranquility. Thus, the tower (also a lightwell that pipes light through the chapel, and office, and the side chapel, where it is used for meditation when lookin up to the blue sky), would be the end of continuous circulation, or rather the place to find.The roofs are also slightly sloped (5 degrees) to display a peaceful portrayal of the ocean waves.















Geometry

As can be seen in the plans, I used the square/rectangular geometry with my motif of intersecting diamonds (also can be seen in my view framing system). This also was an idea in one of our tool kits, of intersecting spaces, shared spaces (my zen vista space where people could gather between the chapel and classroom and enjoy the ocean view.

The intersecting diamond and squares cant be found in the chapel section because I was afraid that the symbol is read as an insignia or that it reveals a certain religious symbol.






Expressive lights

My expressive light’s objective was to guide the people, its soft simple light expresses comfort and aids for de-stressing. The light wells pipe soft lights in, with intent to have light all the way to the ground floor. The side light wells of the chapel also become seats.



Conclusion

I really enjoyed the project, almost has grown to love it too much that I wanted to keep working on it until I see every problem. My process in constructing the ¼ model (see other process post) was really helpful in that it allowed me to see and change really fast without gluing or taping the walls down, the down side only is that I over used this advantage and thus took a long time to satisfy myself. I would definitely use this technique to put pieces in place without permanently gluing them together. One big challenge was constructing the site on a sloped topography, (especially since my buildings aren't all sitting on one plane).


Final Note:

All the roofs and some walls are removable so you can see inside, almost all of each spaces. Feel free to remove what is removable to explore the design and effects.

No comments:

Post a Comment